Unique Car Sales
Unique Cars and Parts


Australian Classic Cars


Unique Cars and Parts on Facebook

Classic Cars for Sale
RSS Feed From Unique Cars and Parts Classifieds


Roads and Bridges of New South Wales

Send This Page To A Friend
Roads and Bridges of New South Wales

1842
August
NSW
A regular ferry service across the Sydney Harbour began in August, 1842, from Dawes Point to Blues Point. The charge was 3 pence a passenger, 1/- a horse and 2/6 for a carriage or cart.
1844
n/a
NSW
George Peat established a ferry service across the Hawkesbury River at Kangaroo Point on the present route of the Old Pacific Highway, NSW.
1856
January
NSW
Governor Fitzroy opened a bridge over the Nepean River at Penrith, NSW. This 21O-metre long timber toll bridge, built for the Nepean Bridge Co, was lost in a flood in Aug, 1857. It was restored, and lost again in a flood in 1860.
1857
n/a
NSW
A timber bridge, with a swing span, was built at Glebe Island, Sydney. It was replaced in 1901 by 2 steel-truss spans and an electrically operated central swing span. In 1859, a toll bridge, with a swing span, was built over Darling Harbour at Pyrmont. This bridge was replaced in 1902 by a timber-truss bridge with a wrought-iron swing span operated by electric power.
1865-1866
n/a
NSW
In NSW, Gundagai Bridge was built over the Murrumbidgee River on the route of the Hume Highway. It had 3 wrought-iron spans and 25 timber approach spans, and still stands today although the highway now passes over the Murrumbidgee further downstream on a steel box-girder bridge.
1870
n/a
NSW
The Denison Bridge was completed over the Macquarie River at Bathurst, NSW. This wrought-iron truss bridge is still used for pedestrian and cycle use.
1867
June
NSW
In June, 1867, a wrought-iron box-girder bridge, built as a railway bridge, was built over the Nepean River and used also for road traffic. This bridge remained an integral part of the Great Western Highway for many years. A new railway bridge was built in 1907.
1877
n/a
NSW
NSW road tolls were abolished.
1880
n/a
NSW
The first experimental pavement of hardwood blocks was laid in King Street, Sydney, between George and Pitt Strees. Blocks, laid on cement concrete, were commonly used over the next 20 years.
1885
n/a
NSW
An iron-lattice truss bridge, known as Gasworks Bridge, was built over the Parramatta River at Parramatta. It still carries traffic.
1889-91
n/a
NSW
Wrought-iron continuous-lattice truss bridges, designed by John A McDonald, were built over the Hunter River, NSW, at Redbourneberry, Elderslie and Aberdeen.
1892
n/a
NSW
A 150 metre suspension bridge was built at Northbridge, Sydney. After serious rusting had been found in the anchor cables, it was converted to a reinforced-concrete arch bridge in 1937.
1893
n/a
NSW
A timber and iron truss bridge was completed over the Lachlan River at Cowra, NSW. It is still standing.
1895
n/a
NSW
Hampden Bridge was built over the Murrumbidgee at Wagga Wagga. Of timber trusses on iron piers, it replaced a timber bridge built in 1864.
1900
December 22
NSW
De Burghs Bridge, built over the Lane Cove River in Sydney between Gordon and Ryde, was opened. It has since been replaced.
1903
February 3
NSW
A bridge over the Nepean River at Maldon near Picton, NSW, was completed. The timber towers of this suspension bridge were destroyed by fire in January, 1939, and a new bridge was erected with steel towers. Although this bridge has been preserved it no longer carries traffic. A modern pre-stressed box-girder bridge replaced it.
1916
n/a
NSW
A ferry service began between Newcastle and Stockton, NSW. The ferries were replaced by the Stockton Bridge in 1971.
1924
September24
NSW
The first Roseville Bridge in Sydney, of reinforced concrete, was opened. A new bridge was opened on Apr 2, 1966.
1924
December23
NSW
The first Spit Bridge in Sydney, of timber and steel with a double-leaf opening span, was opened. A ferry service had operated since 1850. The present structure was completed in 1958. In 1924, no fewer than 13 streams had to be crossed by ferry between Sydney and Tweed Heads on the Queensland border.
1929
n/a
NSW
A toll bridge, consisting of 6 steel trusses on concrete cylinders, was built over the Georges River south of Sydney on the route of the Princes Highway. It replaced a vehicular steam ferry. The bridge, known as Tom Uglys Bridge, carried a toll until May, 1952. A new route of the Hume Highway, over Razorback Range between Camden and Picton in NSW, was opened to traffic.
1930
June
NSW
A new cement concrete road from Hornsby in Sydney to the Hawkesbury River was opened. In Aug, a regular ferry service began over the Hawkesbury at Peats Ferry. In Dec, 1931, a dust-free tar surface was laid on a l l-krn length of the Pacific Highway between Peats Ferry and Mooney Mooney Creek. Peats Ferry Bridge was opened on May 5, 1945, replacing the ferries. It originally carried a toll. A new bridge was completed in 1973 for Sydney-Newcastle Freeway traffic.
1931
Dec 12
NSW
A new steel and concrete bridge replaced the ferry service over the Nambucca River at Macksville, NSW. The following year, a double-decker rail and road bridge, with a bascule opening span, was completed over the Clarence River at Grafton.
1932
n/a
NSW
The first proposal for a bridge across Sydney Harbour was made in 1815 by the NSW Government Architect Francis Greenway. Several other crossings were later proposed, including a number for a tunnel. A regular ferry service across the harbour began in Aug, 1842, from Dawes Point to Blues Point. The charge was 3 pence a passenger, 1/- a horse and 2/6 for a carriage or cart. In Nov, 1922, the Act which provided for the building of the Sydney Harbour Bridge was passed. Work commenced on July 28, 1923. The builders were Dorman Long and Co of Middlesborough, England, and the design was by Dr J J C Bradfield and team in outline, and by Sir Ralph Freeman and team in detail. The work was supervised for the NSW Government by Bradfield. The bridge was opened on Mar 19, 1932, by NSW Premier J T Lang, although the ceremony was disrupted by Francis Edward de Groot, a member of the New Guard, who cut the ribbon before the Premier. The bridge's steel arch span was not the world's longest, but it was the world's most massive arch. The main span is 503 m long. The top of the arch is 134 m above sea level. In July, 1959, 2 extra road lanes were opened after 2 tram tracks on the eastern side of the deck had been removed.
1933
July 1
NSW
A suspension bridge of stiffened cable steel and timber was opened over the Hastings River at Kindee near Wauchope, NSW.
1935
n/a
NSW
Australia's first reinforced-concrete bow-string arch span bridge was built over Shark Creek on the Pacific Highway near Maclean, NSW. A similar bridge was built over Hillas Creek near Tarcutta on the Hume Highway in 1937.
1952
December 17
NSW
The bridge over the Hunter River at Hexham, near Newcastle, was opened. It consisted of steel truss and steel girder spans. One of the truss spans was a lifting span.
1956
n/a
NSW
Sydney's first pre-stressed bridge was construeted over Cockle Creek at Bobbin Head. It replaced a timber bridge built in 1928.
1958
April 2
NSW
The last load of bitumen on the Pacific Highway between Sydney and Brisbane was sprayed 18 km south of Taree, NSW.
1959
September
NSW
Trial use was made of the erection of advisory speed signs on the Hume Highway between Camden and Berrima, NSW.
1959
n/a
NSW
A new bridge was opened over the Macleay River at Kempsey, NSW. This bridge replaced a previous structure, which contained NSW's longest timber truss span (50 m), which had opened in Apr, 1900. The first ferry crossing of the Macleay dates from February 12, 1842.
1960
December 9
NSW
The new route of the Gwydir Highway was opened between Grafton and Glen Innes, NSW.
1962
March 1
NSW
Sydney's first freeway, the Cahill Expressway - from Sydney Harbour Bridge, across Circular Quay, under part of the Botanic Gardens to Woolloomooloo-was opened. The first section-across Circular Quay-had opened in Mar, 1957.
1962
n/a
NSW
Bitumen surfacing of the Sturt Highway, NSW, was completed, providing for the first time a direct, fully sealed road between Sydney and Adelaide, via Goulburn, Wagga Wagga, Hay and Mildura.
1962
n/a
NSW
A new bridge across the Bega River at Tathra is completed, at a cost of £107,000. It was the third to be completed in a plan to substitute bridges for ferries. Bridges across the south channel of the Manning River(connecting Oxley Island to the mainland) and the south arm of the Clarence River (between Brushgrove and Cowper) had already been completed. Still under construction were the Rawdon Island bridge across the Hastings river new Wauchope and another bridge across the Clarence River.
1964
Oct 2
NSW
Sydney's Gladesville Bridge, 6 km west of the Sydney Harbour Bridge, was opened. At that time-with a span of 305 m-it was the world's longest masonry or concrete arch. It replaced an iron lattice truss bridge with an opening swing span built in 1881. The nearby Figtree Bridge was completed in 1963 and the Tarban Creek Bridge in 1965.
1965
May 29
NSW
The Captain Cook Bridge over the Georges River between Sans Souci and Taren Point in Sydney was opened.
1965
December 15
NSW
The first section of the Sydney to Newcastle Freeway-Hawkesbury River to Mount White-was opened.
1966
n/a
NSW
The opening of the bridge over the Clarence River at Harwood, on the Pacific Highway, eliminated the last ferry crossing on the NSW highway system.
1968
n/a
NSW
The first section of the Warringah Freeway in Sydney-Sydney Harbour Bridge to Cammeray-was opened. Work had commenced in 1965. The extension to Willoughby Rd, Willoughby, was opened on Sept 19, 1978.
1970
n/a
NSW
Work began on the freeway south of Sydney, between Waterfall and Bulli. This road, which is a tollwork, was completed in 1973. A feature of the road was the electronic driver-aid system to give advice of safe speeds in foggy conditions.
1971
October 11
NSW
The first section of the Western Freeway between Sydney and the Blue Mountains was opened. A further section was opened on December 20, 1972, giving a continuous length from Prospect to St Marys. In Dec, 1982, 2 further lengths were opened-Concord to Silverwater, and Parramatta to Mays Hill.
1972
September
NSW
The first section of the Western Distributor in Sydney was completed from the Harbour Bridge to the southern end of the City. Subsequently a new crossing was provided across Darling Harbour to replace Pyrmont Bridge.
1972
October
NSW
Bitumen surfacing was completed on the Barrier Highway which runs from Nyngan, New South Wales, to the South Australian border west of Broken Hill. The following month, bitumen surfacing was completed on the Mitchell Highway which runs from Bathurst, New South Wales, to the Queensland border north
of Bourke.
1973
March
NSW
The Macarthur Bridge was opened over the Nepean River at Camden, NSW. It is more than a kilometre long.
1973
n/a
NSW
Bitumen surfacing was completed on the Newell Highway, NSW, which runs from the Victorian border at Tocumwal to the Qld border near Goondiwindi. In June, bitumen surfacing was completed on the Snowy Mountains Highway in NSW.
1973
October 26
NSW
The first 9.8 kilometre section of the South Western Freeway out of Sydney, between Liverpool and Campbelltown, was completed. By December, 1980, there was an uninterrupted 64 km freeway between Liverpool and Mittagong.
1979
January 9
NSW
The Bondi Junction Bypass in Sydney was opened.
Latest Classic Car Classifieds

$65,000 AUD
Private
Vintage Cars
SA
$80,000 AUD
Dealer
Classic Cars
VIC
$198,950 AUD
Dealer
Classic Cars
VIC
$69,950 AUD
Dealer
Classic Cars
VIC
$70,950 AUD
Dealer
Vintage Cars
VIC
back
Unique Cars and Parts - The Ultimate Classic Car Resource
next