Lloyd Cars Ltd was a British motor manufacturer, founded by Roland Lloyd (1904–65), son of a garage owner, and based in Patrick Street, Grimsby, Lincolnshire, England between 1936 and 1951. Two models were made, separated by World War II; the company was unusual for a small manufacturer in making nearly all components in-house.
After car production ceased the company continued in general engineering until 1983.During World War II the company made components for Rolls-Royce Merlin aircraft engines. The make had no connection with North German Automobile and Engine company which made cars under a different Lloyd brand between 1906 and 1914 and between 1950 and 1963. About 15 Lloyd cars are thought to survive.
1946 - 1950
The Lloyd 650 was a very clever design and utilised the Continental system of backbone type chassis. The suspension system made use of box-section wishbones controlled by helical springs enclosed in oil-tight cylinders. It was independent on all four wheels. At the front the spring units were mounted horizontally, and at the rear vertical mounting was used. The steering was by rack and pinion and mechanical-type four-wheel brakes were used. More>>