1919 - 1924
The Wolseley 15 h.p. was an example of technological advancement learned during war time manufacture of aeroplane engines. Alloy steel and light weight chassis, accelerated horse power of more than 20 percent on the average Wolseley without increasing the engine size. The most beneficial feature of the then new design was the power output, which only marginally increased fuel consumption and the characteristic smooth running of Wolseley was maintained.
1931 - 1936
There are some enthusiasts in this world of motoring who will stubbornly maintain that the British haven't made a real sports car since the 1930's. While we don't quite hold with this argument, it is true that the decade, 1930 to 1940, saw the greatest variety of sports cars produced in Britain's history and the post-vintage-thoroughbreds which emerged from the largest and the smallest motor factories gained tremendous prestige throughout the world.
1948 - 1954
The lavish grille and driving lights made the vehicle appear more up-market, but it was the interior where the Wolseley shined.
1953 - 1956
The Wolseley 4/44 was originally designed under the Nuffield Organisation but by the time it was released in 1953 Wolseley was part of BMC. Much of the design was shared with the MG Magnette ZA which came out later in the same year - but unlike the MG, the 4/44 used the 1250cc XPAW engine a version of the XPAG engine previously seen in the later MG T-type series of cars but detuned by only having a single carburettor.
1954 - 1959
Wolseley aficionados were aghast to find a grey striped formica instrument panel and central large chrome mesh "cheese-cutter" speaker grille. This would be switched back to the more traditional polished walnut facia with the release of the Series II in 1957.
1956 - 1958
Despite its single SU carburettor the Wolseley 15/50 managed to provide reasonable performance suitable for its roll as a mid-range model. Most importantly there was a feeling of general excellence and honesty about the car, Wolseley's having established a solid reputation for a long working life and freeedom from petty troubles.
1957 - 1965
The Wolseley 1500 was basically a Morris Minor underneath, leastwise it used the Minor's suspension and wheels, and a scaled-down Wolseley 4/44 in body style, with the all-purpose B-type B.M.C. engine under the bonnet. It was a smart, superlatively finished unit, with a lot of experience applied in the vital places to make it a sturdy, fast (80 m.p.h.), comfortable and economical means of transport.
1961 - 1968
For the £106 pound premium over the Austin, the Wolseley driver of course received the famous Wolseley grille complete with auxiliary lamps, distinctive duotone colour schemes and a much more upmarket interior, which included walnut veneer facia, real leather and individually adjustable front seats. Options included fitment of an automatic transmission, and/or “Normalair” air-conditioning.
1962 - 1965
The 6 cylinder Wolseley 24/80 sedan and station wagon (also sold under the Austin name) were released in April 1962. These cars were developed by BMC Australia to counter the growing popularity of the new 6 cylinder rivals from the US, namely the GM Holden and Ford Falcon.
1966 - 1972
The upmarket Wolseley "Landcrab" was first introduced to the public at the Geneva Motor Show in March, 1966, as yet another variant of what was B.M.C.'s biggest transverse-engine front wheel drive design. Power assistance for the rack-and-pinion steering was standard and a modified Borg-Warner Type 35 automatic transmission and torque converter, driven via a Morse Hy-Vo chain, was offered as an extra for the first time.