MG TC TD TF
Reviewed by Unique Cars and Parts
Our Rating: 4
After the Second World War the MG company from Oxfordshire enhanced its earlier model, the TB and created the TC. This "Square Rigged" TC is probably the most famous MG of them all. Introduced in October 1945, it was a logical development of the TA and TB which were first built in 1936 and 1939 respectively.
The TC was virtually the same as the TB except that the body and track were widened to make more space in the cockpit which now became merely cramped - instead of very cramped as previously! Both had big 48cm wheels, a fold-flat screen, crude suspension
and a slab tank body with ash framing. The TC body was wider and it also used syncromesh on its second, third and top gears resulting in a more pleasant
were also viewed as a big improvement on its predecessor. The TC was regarded as a nippy little car that was not just fun to drive but could manage 125 km/h. It did have heavy steering
and very hard suspension which luckily did not do its reputation any harm. The TC set new production records for MGs - some 10,000 were built. The TB and TC used a modified Morris 10 engine of 1250 cc capacity, unlike the TA which had a Wolseley power plant (The Wolseley company by that time was also owned by William Morris).
American servicemen stationed in England loved them so much that they took them back home with them giving America a taste for European sports cars that it never lost. This caused a big export drive to the US where the majority of the 10,000 produced ended up. Four years later, in 1949, the MG TD was released. It retained the same 1250cc engine as the TC in a similar-looking, but less strikingly-styled, body and on a completely new chassis.
It had independent front suspension
and steel wheels in place of the former's wire-spoke wheels. but offered new independent front suspension
and rack-and-pinion steering. It housed bumpers on both the front and rear and was also roomier and quicker. The TF, introduced in 1953, was an updated TD using a lower and sleeker body which stili looked a lot like the earlier cars. The shape of this model was seen as more modern, due to its moulded headlamps which sloped the grille and fuel tank.
The first versions of the TF had the 1250cc motor, but in 1954 a 1500cc was used giving much better performance. It was touted as being just a re-vamp of the earlier versions but, ironically, it is the most collectable. The TF was available with either steel disc or wire-spoke wheels (the latter were fitted to all of the cars sold in Australia).